CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Stake Conference

Michael got to speak at Stake Conference this year.  What an amazing experience for him.  It was on how he is preparing in the home for a mission.  He did an amazing job and so special to watch him build upon his foundation of Jesus Christ. I hope it is an experience he will never forget.

In David A. Bednar’s talk entitled becoming a missionary, he says. “Brethren, the challenge to become applies precisely and perfectly to missionary preparation. Obviously, the process of becoming a missionary does not require a young man to wear a white shirt and tie to school every day or to follow the missionary guidelines for going to bed and getting up, although most parents certainly would support that idea. But you can increase in your desire to serve God (see D&C 4:3), and you can begin to think as missionaries think, to read what missionaries read, to pray as missionaries pray, and to feel what missionaries feel. You can avoid the worldly influences that cause the Holy Ghost to withdraw, and you can grow in confidence in recognizing and responding to spiritual promptings. Line upon line and precept upon precept, here a little and there a little, you can gradually become the missionary you hope to be and the missionary the Savior expects.

You will not suddenly or magically be transformed into a prepared and obedient missionary on the day you walk through the front door of the Missionary Training Center. What you have become in the days and months and years prior to your missionary service is what you will be in the MTC.”

Today I was given the chance to discuss what I have been doing in my home to prepare to serve an honorable full-time mission. I have started to prepare by reading what missionaries read. Every night before I go to bed I spend 15 to 30 minutes studying my scriptures and reading gospel related material that will help me on my mission. It is important that I know my religion and have a testimony of it, if I am going to be able to share it with those who I meet. I have been able to learn of my part in the oath and covenant of the priesthood. I understand my covenants and am looking forward to the day when I can go through the temple for the first time and take more covenants upon myself. I also want everyone to know that I want to serve a mission not because of the pressure everyone puts on me but because I understand my covenants and my part in the plan of salvation.

    I have also begun to pray as missionaries pray. In the bible dictionary, it says that prayer is a form of work. Therefore, I have gotten into the habit of prayer every morning and night over the last couple of years. Because of this, I have noticed a huge difference in the way that I pray. My prayers have become longer, more sincere, original and from the heart. If you do not believe me, ask my parents they have noticed the change as well in the last couple of months.

    I have also begun to feel what missionaries feel. The spirit has been more in my life in this last year than any other time in my life. The spirit has touched me in ways that I can barely find words to describe. One experience of mine was when I first received my new duty to god book I chuckled and thought I just finished my Eagle Scout project, this book has no reward for completing. Boy was I wrong! With some positive peer pressure from my leaders, I set out on completing my duty to god. I completed all my little requirements and then I set out to complete my timely project which was entitle preparing to receive the Melchizedek priesthood and serve a full time mission. For my project, I set the goal of reading the book of Mormon from cover to cover and gain a testimony of its truthfulness. So I did and it took me several month to do so but when I finished it was worth it. I took advantage of the promise in Moroni chapter 10 versus 4 and 5. I knelt on my knees, offered my prayer aloud, and asked with real intent to know if what I had read was true and if the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saint was true. Before I finished my prayer, I had received the answer I had been looking for. I felt as a missionary would feel full of light, knowledge and truth. I was converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ that day. I had gained a testimony of my own that was not of my parents or leaders.

In David A. Bednar’s talk becoming a missionary he goes on to say My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here—today and always.

1 comment:

lynnissa said...

I have been waiting to read this! Great job...can't wait for the farewell talk (in person). :)